Phil Wainewright assesses about potential suitors for BEA – After ruling out Oracle & Computer Associates as potential acquirers, the choice narroes down to IBM, HP, Microsoft , SAP & Wipro.
- IBM may like to add better SOA capabilities by acquiring BEA
- HP – After Bluestone fiasco, may doubt about its ability to buy and build a new software business – but there are lot many changes that are happening in HP It may see improved prospects in SOA and additional business by acquiring BEA – but… HP could also be looking at an intergation vendor like WebMethods -both BEA & WebMethods acquisition decisions may be interrelated.
- Microsoft – would gain a lot more by acquiring BEA - cross platform credibility and increased clout in the enterprise market (I really see the downside risk - lowest for Microsoft among potential acquirers)
- SAP - would help it build serious initiatives towards becoming a platform player – but the product may be seen as a misnomer
- Wipro - I do not see the logic behind this – Wipro generally makes very calculative moves – acquisition of BEA would look like an adventure - nothing short of it. Wipro chairman Azim Premji is credited with the quote – that Wipro is like an airline and product companies are like aircraft manufacturers.
My take : Microsoft or HP could see the best fit and may be the best bet as well.