|Cloud, Digital, SaaS, Enterprise 2.0, Enterprise Software, CIO, Social Media, Mobility, Trends, Markets, Thoughts, Technologies, Outsourcing|
Linkedin Facebook Twitter Google Profile
Friday, December 10, 2004Opencroquet is an interesting opensource project definitely worth watching. Excerpts:
WHAT IF- We were to create a new operating system and user interface knowing what we know today, how far could we go? What kinds of decisions would we make that we might have been unable to even consider 20 or 30 years ago, when the current set of operating systems were first created?
...we could collaborate with one another in an online dimension to create or simulate anything we wanted to?
...we had the robustness of a 3D immersive technology, the diversity of the Internet, and the degree of social interaction we have in the real world?
...a combination of open source computer software and network architecture that supports deep collaboration and resource sharing among large numbers of users. Such collaboration is carried out within the context of a large-scale distributed information system. The software and architecture define a framework for delivering a scalable, persistent, and extensible interface to network delivered resources. The integrated 2D and 3D Croquet interface allows for co-creativity, knowledge sharing, and deep social presence among large numbers of people. Within Croquet's 3D wide-area environments, participants enjoy synchronous telepresence with one another. Moreover, users enjoy secure, shared access to Internet and other network-deliverable information resources, as well as the ability to design complex spaces individually or while working with others. Every visualization and simulation within Croquet is a collaborative object, as Croquet is fully modifiable at all times. Users and groups of users can author and publish their individual resources within a persistent 3D knowledge architecture.
- Shared telepresence of large numbers of people
- Singular or shared authorship of complex spaces and their contents, thanks to Croquet’s utilization of an Open GL-based graphics engine and late-binding scripting language
- Shared open-source central repository for storage and retrieval of all created and modified objects, allowing naïve 3D developers to leverage the distributed expertise of Croquet’s large-scale networked community
- Collaborative, real-time viewing and manipulation of all network-deliverable information resources
- Synchronization architecture ensures that actions and behaviors of an infinite number of networked users are simultaneously apparent to users across Croquet’s scalable, stateful, persistent 3D environment
- Croquet environments support real-time interactions that promote a self-organizing, interdisciplinary knowledge-sharing system in a manner that ensures accountability and trust relations.
- Croquet interface elements do not need to be literalized as a rendered 3D geometry. Viable presentation layers for Croquet spaces may be implemented in any display output metaphor. |
|Sadagopan's Weblog on Emerging Technologies, Trends,Thoughts, Ideas & Cyberworld