|Cloud, Digital, SaaS, Enterprise 2.0, Enterprise Software, CIO, Social Media, Mobility, Trends, Markets, Thoughts, Technologies, Outsourcing|
Linkedin Facebook Twitter Google Profile
Tuesday, November 30, 2004Marianne Broadbent, Ellen Kitzis from Gartner,in their book, The New CIO Leader, provide a roadmap for the activities and results CIOs need to deliver to move from managing technology to leading a value creating IS organization. Two converging factors-the ubiquitous presence of technology in organizations and the recent technology downturn-have brought Chief Information Officers (CIOs) to a critical breaking point. They can seize the moment to leverage their expertise into a larger and more strategic role than ever before, or they can allow themselves to be relegated to the sideline function of "chief technology mechanic."
Based on working with hundreds of CIOs over the past six years, Kitzis and Broadbent concentrate on 10 actions that are characteristic of a CIO leader. Those are:
1) Lead -- get out in front of issues, creating solutions and contributing to the business.
2) Understand your environment -- as this sets the context for success and contribution
3) Create your vision -- have a view on the future and how you will realize it.
4) Shape and inform expectations -- they are the criteria by which results are really measured.
5) Create clear IT governance -- the way you make decisions determines the way you will create value
6) Weave together business and IT strategy -- the two must become one and build on each other
7) Build a new IS organizations -- one that recognizes the realities of sourcing and new technologies.
8) Build high performing IT teams -- they are the ones that deliver the results, you cannot do it alone for long
9) Manage IT risks -- these are increasingly business risks
10) Communicate performance -- measure where you are, what you've done and don't keep it a secret.
The book is written well and in easy to read format - a must read for all CIO's , aspiring CIO's and partners of professional service firms. |
|Sadagopan's Weblog on Emerging Technologies, Trends,Thoughts, Ideas & Cyberworld